Monday, February 4, 2013

But

"Do not be self-sufficient but place your trust in God." Thomas a Kempis

I read it and the tiny conjunction jumps off the page and shakes me by the collar.

"I have buts of my own, you know," I think hard hoping that troubling trio hears the harshness of my mental tone.

But...

there it stands, unmoving,a fulcrum in this scale of a sentence

and I am unwillingly forced to see my self-protective disposition balanced against the alternative--trust in the Almighty.

But...it's not this heavy. It doesn't have to be unbalanced. I can be independent, self-sufficient. I can take care of myself.

And even as I say it, think it, I know the only truth in this line of thinking is that it draws me back to the center, back to the one word that both joins and separates.

But...

No comments:

Post a Comment