Thursday, January 31, 2013

His

I have been thinking a lot about adoption. About my sweet niece in India who will be with us as soon as the paperwork is done and every step has government approval. I've been overwhelmed to see how much I love her without even knowing her. How willing everyone is to do whatever it takes to bring her home.

I've been overwhelmed watching the preparations for her arrival. How her mom and dad moved to a new home for her and set up a bedroom. How they pay the fees for the paperwork and the agency from their meager savings without blinking an eye. What wouldn't you give to bring your child home?

I think about Nana and Papa setting up a room and buying toys so she'll have a place to stay and things to do when she comes over.

About her mom and dad studying her language and eating Indian foods.

About the book they made for her to introduce her to her family.

About the words in that book: "I will forever protect you." ~ Dad
"I will forever love you." ~ Mom

I think about their dreams of her before they knew her name and their dreams for her future before she knew their names.

I think about the way they love her not because of something she has done or hasn't done, but because of one single fact, that she is theirs. She is ours.

And I can't help but think of Galatians 4:6. And of a Dad who would pay whatever it cost and do whatever it took to bring his kids home. Of children who are valued and loved for the simple reason that they are HIS.

Of an incredible adoption that included more than new toys and a nice bedroom waiting for us. Of a Father who says, "I will forever protect you. I will forever love you."

And I think I am learning something new, something revolutionary. The kind of lesson that shakes loose tar in my heart and cleanses my system of earning, performing, controlling with a fresh flush of love.


1 comment: